Visas, Vaccines, and Outlets:

Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days without a visa. However, the passport should be valid for a least three months beyond the planned date of departure[1]. For more information visit the Embassy of Spain website.

The travel should be up to date with routine vaccination[1]. For an up-to-date list of other vaccinations recommended visit the CDC website.

A power plug adaptor is needed because the power socket is of type F[2] and not compatible with the North American plugs.

Social Customs:

Spain is a diverse country and it’s social customs and culture cannot be summarized accurately. This article seeks to give a general overview of the countries culture.[3][4][5][6]

  • Male and female acquaintances kiss, usually on both cheeks, to greet each other. However, the first greeting is typically a handshake
  • Nap time is taken seriously and it is not advised to call during those hours (typically 2 to 5 pm)
  • People are often referred to as Don or Dona and their first name when in formal occasion
  • Family is an important aspects of Spanish life, large family gatherings happen frequently
  • Interrupting one another is not considered bad manners in Spain, but a part of spontaneous communication
  • The Spaniards are among the biggest smokers in Europe – about 30% of the population smokes
  • Although chauvinistic behavior has lessened nowadays, if a women is traveling alone, she may experience flirtatious comments to be called her way

Education System:

School/Level Equivalent Notes
Primary 1-6 Grade Education is free from the ages 6 to 16. Primary school is divided into three 2-year cycles.
Secondary 7-10 Grade To finish their compulsory education students need to attend lower secondary[7]. After completing this they are awarded the title of secondary education graduate.
Higher Secondary 11-12 Grade Those who want to continue to higher education will have to take two additional years of secondary.
Vocational N/A After the completion of secondary students may opt for a 2 year training[7]. They may either enter the workforce or enroll in a higher technical program.
Higher Education N/A  There are two types of higher education one is higher technician and the other university[7]. After completing two years of higher technician students may register at university too

1. U.S. Passport & International Travel
2. World Plugs & Sockets International Electrotechnical Commission
3. Social Customs Just Landed
4. Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette Kwintessential
5. Culture and Etiquette Rough Guides
6. Social Customs, Traditions And Habits Trips & Tips & Social Tricks
7. Classbase